Eating Your Words Roundup, Part II

Monday, March 9, 2009 49 comments


Who knew that comestibles could be so communicative? 

Two weeks ago, Savor the Thyme and I issued a challenge to let your food do the talking and they certainly spoke loud and clear! The response was wonderful, with entries ranging from the whimsical to the hilarious, demonstrating the amazing imagination and unique personalities of their creators. But with only one challenge and two co-hosts, who would have the privilege of showing off these fantastic entries? In this case, Savor and I decided to split the baby.

After viewing the creative works featured here, please head over to Savor the Thyme to see Eating Your Words, Part I!

Presenting the Eating Your Words Challengers:


Jaime at The Fair Weather Optimist sent in 'Evil Cookies', proving that looks can be deceiving as these pretty-in-pink treats have an ominous message. Beware the pink elephant - I think many of us have seen these guys a little too often!





When the 'Diva' speaks, you should stop, listen and look. True to her diva-liciousness, The Diva on a Diet at Beach Eats sent in a scrumptious Cherry Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti that leaves no doubt about who is in the house (and oven)!




Also staying true to her blog name, Cassie at Foodie with Little Thyme killed two birds with one stone . . . or rather, two challenges with one recipe. Judging by this Spinach, Sausage and Three Cheese Ravioli dish, the message 'Mangia' is less a suggestion and more of a command: eat your words!



And now for something different . . . Natasha at 5 Star Foodie, ably assisted by her darling daughter, offered cups of 'Rainbow' and 'Spring' Hot Chocolate. These creamy words of cocoa comfort are perfect for those snowy, rainy or otherwise dreary days when we find ourselves wanting to snuggle in warmth until the sun comes out again.



Comfort can also be found in coffee, as Cris at From Our (Brazilian) Home to Yours shows with her Coffee Talk tableau of 'Beans'. It's best described in her own words: "Coffee is about taste, fragrance, the aroma of coffee beans filling the air, and memories . . . I love traveling and everywhere I have been to has memories of a coffeehouse . . ."



What goes best with cocoa or coffee? Biscuits, of course, like this tray of baked 'Ciaoo!' from Andrea at Cheese and Pears. Known as Campagnole, these breakfast biscuits will help you greet the coming day with a smile on your face.




Short and sweet was on ChefBliss' mind when she presented her 'Birthday Cake.' To help celebrate the February birthdays in her family, ChefB put together this lovely triple-layer cake, smothered in a white chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting and adorned with fondant letters. Can you spell "Mmmmmm"?



After all these goodies, you may want to burn a few calories so Lori at Fake Food Free reminds us to 'Be Active'. These Breakfast Energy Bars not only look and taste delicious, they'll give you the extra boost to start an energetic day!





Last, but most definitely not least, is our sole video entry. Greg at SippitySup took us at our word: his food doesn't just talk - they sing, dance and basically have a roaring good time as they come together to make an Italian Sausage and White Bean Radicchio dish. Click here to see 'Because a Can, Can Can-Can' and you can, too!


But the show's not over! Head to Savor the Thyme for some more dazzling entries in Eating Your Words, Part I. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as we have.

On behalf of my intrepid and patient co-host, Jennifer, I want to offer our most sincere thanks to our challenge participants. We hope that you had as much fun as we did with this event but lest you think that's all your reward, we would like to present each of you with the "Eating Your Words" challenge badge (as seen at top), which you'll receive via e-mail.

Remember: when you let your food do the talking, you just might be surprised by what it has to say!

49 comments:

  • Jennifer said...

    Good morning co-host! I am your first and I believe most excited visitor. What a fun 2 weeks this has been! I am excited for all the smiles today will bring.

  • Anonymous said...

    What a great round-up! This was such a fun challenge! Everyone came up with some creative expressions.

  • The Diva on a Diet said...

    Brilliant post, Tangled Noodle! You've done such a marvelous job in showcasing all the wonderful entries! I'm SO impressed with the range and creativity of the offerings. Wow! I'm nearly speechless! LOL Congrats to all the challengers and I can't wait to see the other half of the entries. Thank you so much for hosting this challenge, it was a blast! :)

  • Cris said...

    You two did such a great job, creating this superb challenge that made us think! And then the roundup, everyone seems to have worked hard to get such beautiful posts up! Congratulations!!!

  • Kiezie said...

    Tangled Noodle, you are wonderful!!! This was so much fun to do and I am so excited to see everyones entries!! They are all clever, creative and unique!! You and Savor did well!! Thank you!

  • Sapuche said...

    Wow, such imagination and skill on display! My hat goes off to all the challengers who shared their creative works. And to Tangled Noodle and Savor the Thyme, of course, for helping put all of this together!

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Jennifer - Thank you so much for inviting me to share in your idea! It was a lot of fun and I think something we will have to resurrect for the future.

    5 Star - Many thanks to you and your lovely little helper! The hot chocolate message was a nice twist to the challenge and really added to the originality!

    Lori - The response was great and we so appreciated your participation. Your energy bars were great and quite honestly, they give Larabars, Clifs and all the rest a run for their money!

    Girlichef - Your blueberry pie was awesome! Definitely, if and when we hold this again, I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

    Daily Spud - I couldn't believe all the delicious goodness in these entries. I've been dropping broad hints everywhere that I' wouldn't mind a care package with samples!

    Heather - If and when we do this again, I hope you'll join in. As it is, I found myself buying lemongrass and ginger yesterday with visions of martinis dancing in my head (and if I'm successful, visions of pink elephants parading by, too)!

    Diva - Many thanks to you: it would never have happened without your participation and of the other entrants! Thank you for the shout-out on your own blog. Let's do it again!

    Cris - Obrigada, mi amiga! Thank you for a lovely entry and for allowing me to post your picture on Foodbuzz. One of these days, we will share a cup of carioca together!

    ChefBliss - Thank you so much for your support and participation! And many, many thanks for sharing the HTML code for the badge. You are such a true friend and wonderful blogger!

    Elra - On behalf of the entrants, thank you! They really did an amazing job.

    Duo Dishes - Your recipes are always awesome so I hope that if and when we do this again, we can convince you to send something in!

    Spryte - No worries: you've been a source of inspiration so you're allowed to chill. But start thinking about it, for the next time we try this . . . !

    Karen - Thank you! It was a lot of fun and the challengers did a great job!

    Chef E - You can be silly with us anytime! Thank you so much for participating - we 'knead' you, too!

    Mediterranean Kiwi - Thank you! I can't imagine how long it might have taken for her to form those ravioli. It would have been almost a shame to eat them! (But, it was so delicious-looking, I would've overcome my hesitation very quickly).

    Sapuche - Thanks! Savor and I had a great time going over the entries and the challengers did such a great job. Perhaps next time, we might convince you to throw in some kind of Hawai'ian or Vietnamese themed food . . . ?

    Reeni - Thank you! I'm in awe at what the challengers came up with. I'll have to start thinking of the next time (if and when we decide to try again).

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Phanitha - Your comment came in while I was writing the above so you get a response box all to yourself! Thank you and I hope you'll consider joining in if we get to do this again! I think for the next time, we'll make it clear that all languages would be welcome!

  • Anonymous said...

    Some very cool entries. I think I was most impressed with the ravioli! Looks like everyone had a fun time submitting entries.

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Gastroanthropologist - I think they did! I must admit that making ravioli letters is a lot harder than cutting them out of Jell-o!

    Jescel - Thank you! It's wonderful to see and read about how the entries were inspired.

    Eric - That is funny!! But if you saw my slightly dyslexic pancake a few posts ago, you'll know that we're pretty relaxed about that!

    Cheese and Pears - Thanks so much for participating! I would've loved a bite of one of the 'O's!

  • Anonymous said...

    So as foodies, we're not only good at eating, but also creating something from what we eat. You've proven it. Congrats to all these creators!

  • Chef E said...

    Tangle, I just did a post on Micheal Pollan's article and saw your comment on page 5 of his long responses! Yeah I recognized a friend...I was so excited I posted about him and love his writings...

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Zerrin - Thank you! Fellow blogger Sapuche says that food 'talks' to him and I think that talented cooks such as yourself open yourselves to all the different possibilities of flavors and preparations of ingredients, even when it's writing a message!

    Chef E - Although I don't agree with everything that Pollan has written about, he has done so much to get people to really think about what and how they eat! I couldn't resist throwing in my blog philosophy but I can't believe you saw it!! There are something like 1700 responses.

    Nazarina - Thank you I think everyone had a great time coming up with such fun ideas.

    Jesse - Thanks! The response was great and I hope others will be inspired to join in if we're able to do this again!

    Hornsfan - Thank you and please join us if we run it again! Maybe you can do a tribute to the 'Horns!

  • Anonymous said...

    Good thing nobody paid attention to their moms' who admonished, "Don't play with your food!'' Otherwise, we wouldn't have these delightful entries to put a smile on everyone's faces.

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Carolyn - So true! In Natasha/5 Star Foodie's case, she actively encouraged her daughter to join in the play!

    Natashya - The participants were really on their game! We were so pleased with the enthusiastic response.

  • Lory said...

    You two did a wonderful job of hosting and rounding up this challenge. The challengers are very creative indeed! I can't imagine the trouble some have gone into for their entries!
    Can't wait for another challenge!

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Manang - Your whoopie pies were so awesome and with such a funny story connected to it! Thanks so much for your support and participation - I do hope we'll have another such challenge in the future.

    Joie - Sorry to have forgotten to answer this earlier: I (very painstakingly) cut out the letters in tin foil then simply placed them on top of the breadslice in the toaster oven! I deliberately set it to toast longer so that it would be a nice contrast. I don't know if I'd do it again, though! 8-)

  • Joie de vivre said...

    I thought this would be fun to surprise my kids with some morning, but it does sound painstaking! Thanks for letting me know! I'm all set for French Friday tomorrow! See you bright and early!

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Gera - Thank you! And I really enjoyed the pictures of the Louvre artwork on the beach in Montevideo. It's still so cold here in MN so I was daydreaming that we were strolling in the sunshine, enjoying the paintings!

    Joie - I'm sorry to discourage your plans but it honestly wasn't easy! But perhaps if you just made single letters or very short words instead of a phrase, like I did, it may not be as bad. 8-)

  • Tangled Noodle said...

    Talita - Obrigada! It was fun to do and everyone was so creative.

    I just visited you site and loved the different recipes you have - the coconut and chocolate cake was my favorite (until I see your future recipes)!

 

Clean Template ©Copyright 2011 Tangled Noodle | TNB